Wednesday, September 11, 2013

iDenkilla's Thoughts on the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c

So on September 10th, Apple announced 2 new phones they will be releasing. The public has known a lot regarding the phones due to information which was "leaked" online in the last few months.

The iPhone 5c is the cheaper model which Apple is introducing. This is for emerging markets and for consumers who would like the iPhone but can't afford it. This iPhone is basically very similar to the iPhone 5 which was released last year. There's only one major difference, the back is made of plastic instead of glass. This plastic will be available in a variety of colors. They have improved the front facing camera to perform in low light also. (Probably a bunch of crap) hardware wide, I wasn't expecting more from this cheaper version. To be honest, it should be cheaper than $99 with a 2 year contract. To be stuck in a 2 year contract for a phone that's already behind in the times is ridiculous.

I also don't like how Apple is hyping that the inside of the phone is built as one piece, that to me just means they have found another way to reduce their cost but won't pass the savings onto the consumers.

The iPhone 5s is the upgraded version of the iPhone 5. Those of you who know me heard me saying that there will not be drastic changes in the new iPhone, and I was right!(This was the reason I got the Galaxy s4)  The one minor feature I like is the finger print scanner, which they call TouchID. To my recollection, there aren't many phones out there with a finger print scanner and I think it's pretty unique. The bad thing is that developers are not able to utilize this functionality because the SDK is not available to them.

There is also a 64 bit processor which the phone will have. I don't know much about processors but from what I understand there isn't any cell phone on the market which has a chip like this. This chip should improve how games and apps run on the phone. In addition, there is also an M7 chip on board which will turn the phone into an activity tracker when used with Nike move (Like the Fitbit/ Nike fuel band). I was expecting the improved processor but not the M7 chip. I'm interested in how M7 will work out.

The 5s also sports a better camera, a better flash, and improved battery life. I was expecting these improvements as these were rumored.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Apple has lost their innovative ways. To be honest, I don't think there needed to be an event to announce these devices. Events should only be held when there is something ground breaking for the consumers, not when they are just pushing minor updates to hardware.

What are your thoughts?
iDenkilla



P.S. A few people mentioned to me that they were not able to leave comments. The issue should have been fixed. Let me know if that is not the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment